Speaking pragmatically, does it matter? I think Firefox is pretty
good, and I personally use it (with web developer extension) to build
stylesheets (I find it really helpful to watch the elements fall into
place as I adjust styles in realtime).

That is, for me, the fastest way to get a style that adheres to
recommendations and performs okay in Opera, Safari, etc. -- and from
there it's on to IE.

Whether Firefox is "most accurate" according to recommendations, I
don't know. If anyone's got a comparison chart of certain browsers
according to spec, that'd be interesting reading, but it doesn't
ultimately change that much. When I raised an eyebrow at your "Firefox
first, others later" thing, it wasn't so much at that as at the
"Firefox is always right" attitude: we mustn't assume that. It's a
very solid browser, and it evolves quickly thanks to active
community-driven development, but if you look at Bugzilla it's most
definitely not flawless.

In terms of the "best" browser for W3C recommendation support? Leaning
towards saying Opera, just because it does some cool CSS3 stuff others
don't... but that's hardly a substantiated opinion.

Josh