Haven't got time to try (last HSC exam tomorrow! woo! -- final school
exams here in NSW Australia), but maybe using the display: property to
ditch normal table-like behaviours for the thead?
http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_class_display.asp

Then try position:fixed. No idea if this works or not, but it occured
to me that there are different display: types for tables than other
elements.

Josh