I caught the comment from I think Richard.

'Does it matter that this is making use of code within comments'

You might actually be a little confused. This is a comment

<!-- Something in here -->

Note the '!'. In the code for a SSI, there is not '!'. In other words. This is
not a comment.

<-- #include file="test.html" -->

And as for the other comments about standards and all. It really does not
matter. As another Paul
state the includes are put together on the server way before the HTML ever
reaches the client
(browser). And sure if you have errors in you include you will break validation
but then again if
you used a single file as opposed to include and an had an error you would see
the same thing.
Once again in other words the us of SSI does not and will not cause validation
problems.

P-