Hassan Schroeder wrote:

Geoff Deering wrote:

This also leads to another problem, in that if users configure their
operating system to a custom scheme, unwittingly the web designer may be
indicating to the user that a field may be read only even if it is not
grey.  How does the designer know whether to use grey or not?  They
don't.

Erm, well, actually, they do :-)

 <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ui.html#system-colors>

:: or at least, they know what color to use...

Yes, thanks for pointing this out. I'd say the system defaults do these anyway, I can't think of anything off hand where you'd need to explicitly declare these, but I guess there possibly are...

Geoff Deering