Paul Noone wrote:
Your greatest problem may be deciding which encoding to use.
Probably utf-8.
If your English language text will be inlcined to use a broad spectrum of
characters
I don't understand what you mean.
it may be prudent to use images for the Hebrew words
That wouldn't be very good for accessibility.
put the definition in the alt tag.
If I include the definition in mark-up, I'd use a title attribute (but since I'm not planning on using images, the alt attribute isn't an option, anyway).
Who are your users?? This will help you decide which approach is best.
They most likely can read Hebrew, though not necessarily very well. Similarly, their understanding would also be somewhat limited, though the text would be discussing the word so that would be a problem. What's more of a problem (as far as definitions goes) are Hebrew (and in some cases Yiddish or Aramaic) words written in a transliterated form because they have become a sort of jargon. (Interestingly, there are a few words where to use the English equivalent would hamper understanding because it's more likely that visitors would know the word in Hebrew, but not in English.)