My personal feeling is that you should be using the HTML 4.01 doctype.
Your not going to achive anything by using an XHTML doctype and it's
technically invalid. Remember *every User Agent will (and should) treat
your code as HTML*. If you put a skirt on a man it won't make him a
woman. Weather or not a page is HTML/XTHML is determined entirely by the
mime-type.

Also there's nothing wrong with using HTML. I think the standards people
have gotten a bit confussed on this one. HTML is a W3C recomendation -
it's been around for a while and will still be around for a long time -
there's not reason to worry about future proof with HTML.

The other thing is that I don't think anybody besides the odd bot ever
looks at those meta tags. That information belongs in your http headers.

Alan Trick