Lachlan Hunt said:
> In SGML, the comment syntax is as follows:

I believe your original comment was that it was invalid HTML. While
similar, the SGML rule differs from HTML in it's treatment of whitespace,
and the example you provided is, in fact, invalid HTML. The
recommendation[1] goes on to say authors should avoid multiple hyphens
together in comments, however mulitple hyphens do not invalidate the
document (otherwise, I presume, the recommendation would read MUST avoid
multiple hyphens, and the validators would flag multiple occurances of
them).

EXAMPLES:
<!-- html style valid comment -->

<!