Lori Cole wrote:
I am new to (trying to learn how) constructing standards conforming web
pages using XHTML

Since you're new, you might want to stick with HTML4 until a) browser support for XHTML increases (IE does not support XHTML), and b) you've learned and understand all the differences between HTML and XHTML (there's much more than just minor syntax differences).

and would like to know what HTML editor you folks that are
light years ahead of me would recommend?  Like HTMLTidy?

I find Dreamweaver 8 fairly good for hand coding. It's WYSIWYG editor is ok, it will produce relatively sensible markup, but I recommend avoiding such features until you're more confident and can control whatever rubbish they output. Even the best WYSIWYG editors will output rubbish for inexperienced users.

I've also heard good things about HTML Kit, though I've never used it myself.

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Avoid MS Frontpage like the plague, it will output rubbish for even the most experienced users.

I am Windows based with IE v6 which I will soon be switching to Firefox based
on this list.

Make sure you test in at least Firefox 1.0.7 and 1.5. You'll also want to get a copy of Opera 8.5 and 9.0 preview 1. You may wish to test on earlier versions of Opera as well, but I wouldn't bother testing on anything lower than Opera 7.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/