G'day

If you're not using the right MIME type, you may
> as well be using HTML4, as you're just relying on
> browsers error recovery techniques to understand XHTML.

I code in xhtml Strict and serve it as text/html. My code is future-proof, valid and well structured. If I code in HTML4, there is less "need" for writing properly structured documents.

If at some point in the future browsers understand xhtml served as xthml, changing the way it's served is a relatively simple operation. Re-coding from HTML to xhtml (and unlearning bad coding habits) is not as simple.

> Plus, I'm sure you've read Ian Hickson's "Serving XHTML as
> text/html considered harmful" article?!

One man's view, based on an assumption that people will write xhtml tagsoup. Even if they do, they will find out soon enough.

I can't speak for others, but I write proper xhtml, not html tagsoup translated to xhtml. I think we've had a thread about this article already, so will leave it there.

In the case of IE and XHTML, there isn't even limited support
for it, there's none at all.

While technically correct, it is misleading, particularly for
newbies, who might read it as "don't code in xhtml - people with
MSIE will not be able to view your site". It's not true if the page is served as text/html.

> Also, it's very important to be aware of the xml declaration
> issue, beginners must not learn to rely on quirks mode
> behaviour, they need to learn standards compliant behavior from
> the beginning, so it's important that it not be used.

I agree with you on that point.

> I think it's important for beginners to learn correctly from
> the beginning.

Exactly. Teach them properly structured xhtml 1.0 and serve it in a MIME type that the browsers people use can work with. Ready to reap the benefits of X(HT)ML later, when browsers support it.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/