From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Lori Cole
Sent: 03 December 2005 15:24
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] Newcomers and Web Standards

Lachlan,
I was a science major in college and went into biotech which is dominated by
men.  Your advice to me as a newcomer to just stick with HTML4 rather than
to try to learn the right way to use XHTML right off the bat reminded me of
the experiences I have had in science that I believe have been sexist.  Lots
of grown men behave like middle school boys that don't want to share their
toys with the girls.  Maybe you are wondering why I am not making quilts
with the girls instead of trying to construct a web page?

I think I will start attending a local user group rather than using this
list as I think people behave differently face to face and maybe some women
will be there.  Thanks for those of you that have commented constructively
about IE and tidy.  I took an HTML II online course with HWG and they do not
even mention text editors exist and would have saved me a lot of time.

I am just using Notepad now to write SCRICT code and rather than reaching
for a reference book to remember a small detail or rather than running it
through a validator, I thought a text editor might help. I can certainly
research text editors myself but thought my question would be interesting
for this list to address in terms of trying to stick to standards.

Lori