{
 float : right;
 width : 190px;
}

#content
{
 margin-right : 190px;
}

This is the exact design of my site http://www.smashignred.com except the side bar is on the left. I wrap the content and the sidebar in a pagewrapper and then do as above. The numbers are different though. I have the sidebar width of 180px and the left margin of the content box is 220px which gives me a simple space without having to ad padding.

Jay Gilmore
Developer/Consultant
Affordable Websites and Marketing Solutions for Real Small Business.
SmashingRed Web & Marketing
P) 902.529.0651
E) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ivanovitch wrote:
Folks - you've helped out before, and I'm asking again. Pardon if this
sounds all too simple, but I've yet to find a solution either in this
list's archives, or on the web.

I'm trying to create a fluid layout with two columns, but whilst the
left column is variable width, the right column (sidebar) is to be a
fixed width (190px). This is entirely because the right column
contains an image in every instance. But I want the left column to
take up the remainder of the space (viewport width - 190px).

Everything that I've seen or reviewed works fine if I wish to break
the columns by percentage, or pixel widths on both. And min-width
doesn't seem to work for IE.

Having divved up some non-table examples using the usual suspects, my
efforts result in my finding that when making the viewport window very
small (or when enlarging the text to huge sizes), the left column
slides under the righthand column.

Do I need to use double-divs to set a width for the troublesome right
column? The most frustrating part of this is using tables and cells,
this is a no-brainer.

I'd show you an example of where I'm at, but my test site is down at the moment.
The discussion list for  http://webstandardsgroup.org/

The discussion list for  http://webstandardsgroup.org/