Torgny Rasmark wrote:
We cannot find a way to give an arbitrary element the characteristics of the html

CSS 2.1, section 12.2 [1] states:
| Authors may include newlines in the generated content by writing
| the "\A" escape sequence in one of the strings after the 'content'
| property. This inserted line break is still subject to the
| 'white-space' property.

foo::after { content: "\A"; white-space: pre; }

foo { ... } will also work, but Opera is one of the only browsers (if not the only one) to support 'content' on any element, rather than just ::before and ::after pseudo-elements.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#content

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/