Just quickly, speaking in Google's favour, I've had to use Gmail in an
emergency via SSH on a text terminal, and it remained eminently
usable. Screenreaders may not fare so well, but for the vast majority
of users, it's key strength is usability and the depth of their
products. It seems they value usability over (universal)
accessibility, which is, for many businesses, quite an acceptable
order of values.

You can either devote resources to ensuring accessibility for those
clients who may or may not be the most profitable, or you can devote
the same resources to improving usability for the widest possible
range of people... which drives the growth of their products in no
small way.

And, despite all its validation misdemeanours, Google's search engine
linearises quite well (if you don't believe me, fire up Links... which
I presume is a decent guide to the way a screen reader would approch
things).

Hah! I just discovered something that puts an interesting spin on my
previous assertion about Google not worrying about showing up in
search engines. Try this search: http://www.google.com/search?q=search

Yes indeed, Google ranks after MSN in its own search engine!

Josh

On 12/8/05, Bert Doorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> G'day
>
> > Well, it isn't the first thing that occurred to me!
> > I've often wondered why it is that Google doesn't validate.
>
> I never looked at it closely, but you're right - it's tagsoup,
> tables for layout and deprecated elements and attributes galore
> (font, center anyone?). No DTD either.
>
> Perhaps, like *many* businesses, they look at it and say "it
> works in all browsers, so what's all the fuss about?"  They don't
> *see* the need...
>
> Perhaps it's also a case of "(some) programmers are not html
> coders".  It seems many people who write server side scripts only
> have a vocabulary of about 10-12 HTML elements (html, title,
> meta, body, table, tr, td, center, font, img and maybe a couple
> more).
>
> Yes, I know there are exceptions...   Just thinking Google may
> fall into this category as it's obviously script driven.
>
> Regards
> --
> Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
> http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/