<...>
> I'm wondering what led MSN to go with external files, and Yahoo with
> CSS in the header. MSN is obviously much more optomized than Yahoo
> (the yahoo markup is a mess), and I'm thinking MSN might have picked
> the right choice. Their CSS file is massive and probably covers all
> the internal pages, which makes it worth the extra cost of having an
> external file.

That's very very good point.

Indeed, by tidying up SERPs and using common CSS file Google would
save much much more. Optimizing only google.com start page does not
make much sense: if one uses search form then he will want results pages too.
Results pages are also generated by request from search box in Firefox or Opera,
from google powered search in other pages.
So SERPs are to be targeted if someone is serious about saving bandwidth.

And in terms of web standards MSN with valid and CSS-formated start and
results pages is way ahead of Google...

Regards,
Rimantas
--