A trick I've used, though some may not care for this especially, is to use padding on the top and bottom, such as:

HTML:

CSS: (going for 25 pixels high)
li{height:25px;}
li a{font-size:12px;padding-top:6px;padding-bottom:6px;}

Usually its works great, so long as the font size and padding measure up to the height. Using em's is preferred of course, in which case that technique is irrelevant. But if you're desperate...

Joe Taylor
http://sitesbyjoe.com

Nathan Wheatley wrote:

Nope. It does in fact make the lines higher, but it simple ads more
'space' at the top of the text, not actaully adding it to the top AND
the bottom. It also does nothing to make the image display at its full
height.

Damn. Any other suggestions?