About the 'why':

I'm working on a little Backbase application. From what I've seen so far it seems to require quirks mode to function right in Internet Explorer. You can see this because their website at www.backbase.com has <!-- --> on top of the page.

Now I want to include a little backbase powered mini-app inside my weblog, of which the pages (of course) require strict rendering mode.

I can do it in an iframe with the <!-- --> thing on top of the document that's loaded inside of it but that results in another problem: the iframe's height. As it's an ajax thing the height of the inner document will vary and I don't want the iframe to ever have a scrollbar. I guess my only option is to limit the height of the ajax generated content in order to make
sure it never gets higher than my iframe then?

- Marco

Bert Doorn wrote:
G'day

This is probably going to sound really weird but I need this for something I'm working on.

Yep, you got that right but I won't ask why :-)

Question: Is it possible to make IE6 use the broken box model for a PART of the document?

As far as I know, the only way you'd get that behaviour would be if you insert a document (with quirks mode trigger) into an iframe (or object) on the compliant page.

Note: just a theory - I haven't tested it.

Regards