Nick Cowie wrote:
Samuel

You wrote:
body {  font-size .8em; }
p {  font-size : 90%;
(adjust per design to get the correct sizes etc)
}

That is asking for trouble, you really need to watch out for the cascade.
Get a p inside a p,

It's very rare that p elements would be nested like that and under normal HTML conditions almost impossible, at least to do so accidentally. It can be done using this, for example, but rare.

(object can also be replaced with other elements like ins and del for a similar result)

an li inside an li or a li inside a p and suddenly

Again, li inside p is difficult to achieve, but nested lis are a good example.

personally it is
body { font-size 76%}

That's extremely small for the main body copy. Such sizes should be reserved for relatively unimportant footer text like copyright notices, etc. I don't recommend anything below 80%, but I also don't recommend using % (or em or ex) for setting font sizes for the reasons you gave above.

Personally, I recommend using the font-size keywords because they don't suffer from such problems.

body { font-size: small; }

is generally acceptable and is approximately the same as 80% of the default font-size. 'medium' is best for body-copy although many designers would likely object. There are some obsolete browsers that get the sizes wrong, for which there is a hack [1], but I don't bother with it.

[1] http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_26_using_relative_font_sizes.html

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/