body { font-size: small; }

Such a rule is saying, in effect, "the content on this page should be one size smaller than the user's comfortable reading size." Small font sizes for main body text is user-hostile. (The converse rarely seems to exist; it's unusual to find a site that is too big, although I suppose some must exist.

Smaller fonts for navigation purposes, may be appropriate. Navigation bars are read differently, and are often set off visually (through columns, whitespace, etc.) that allow them to be read easily even when one size category smaller than normal. Footers and 'small print' are also appropriate for smaller font sizes.

But main content in small text? I wouldn't advise it.

Laura
Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN  55812-3009