Thanks for all the replies guys,

"In my banners/headers I almost always use background image...alternative is
a % width."

I need to do it as an image in the xhtml rather than css, it's a restriction
of the CMS I am using

"it would help to clean it up before seeking advice"
Lol, all the main rules are now embedded. The extra sheet was just a
production sheet I use.

"If you want the nifty rounded edges to remain"
The image could be square cornered. I just need it to slide under the
newsflash background.

I have cut down the page to bare minimum that shows the problem...

http://www.compassdesigns.net/joomlashack/

thanks for the help so far, keep it coming!

Barrie