On Dec 27, 2005, at 4:45 AM, Martin Heiden wrote:

This one will work if the a covers 100% of the li's area, otherwise
the li's background could shine through. But for this menu it's real
quick and simple fix.

Thanks Martin, I'll keep this in mind when fixing other sites. It looks like I will have to use Bert' suggestion for the fix in other sites.

:link
:visited
:focus
:hover
:active

Or one will override the others. This might be your problem.
The above psedo classes won't be needed for this particular menu.

Another thing. You use:

#siteOption li a span {
        display: none;
}

Learned this from CSS Zen Garden and it remains my favourite as I other methods use hacks.

This way, the text inside the span is hidden from screen readers. See:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility

It would be better to position the span off left:
#siteOption li a span {
        position: absolute;
        left: -1000px;
        font-size: 1px;