OK, these are as ready for eyes other than mine. I am especially interested in two things:

1. general response to the two sites particularly how they fare in the IE family 2. suggestions for readings or websites for HIST 697-History & New Media.

It might be useful to have two additional pieces of info: I'm a historian by training but self-taught in web design, and HIST 697 is a required class for doctoral history students who range from the absolutely petrified to those who have built sites with tables. My job is to move them in 14 weeks to standards-based, accessible websites.

Both the XHTML and CSS validates.

Base site:
http://www.archiva.net/
http://www.archiva.net/screen.css

HIST 697:
http://www.archiva.net/hist697ay06/
http://www.archiva.net/hist697ay06/hist697ay06_screen.css

If you have an extra moment, please take a look at HIST 300. I rather like my horse and wonder if it's effective.

HIST 300:
http://www.archiva.net/hist300ay06/index.html

Finally, I thank the folks on the list who have helped me get this far on the semantic syllabus.
Best,
Paula
Paula Petrik
Professor