On 1 Jan 2006, at 6:00 AM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
Coming in late on this:

As per the spec
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#adef-summary
"summary = text [CS]
This attribute provides a summary of the table's purpose and structure for user agents rendering to non-visual media such as speech and Braille."

So I'd say it's a combination of *purpose* and structure, and I'd say that it should be in that order as well. Assuming a screenreader user gets the summary, they'd presumably want to know what the table is for first (so they can quickly decide whether or not they're interested in it or want to skip it) before getting a whole "column one does this, column two does that" structural description. So, something like "Earnings for Blahblah Ltd in 2005, broken down by month. The first column has the months, the second column has the earnings for that particular month" or something along those lines...(yes, I suck at examples, but you get the idea)

Sure, unless of course you are reading a page called "Earnings for Blahblah in 2005" and your table has a caption like "Earning for Blahblah 2005 by Month" where repeating that info (the purpose) in the summary is redundant.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.