I am tearing my hair out over the decision on how to best format following
data:

We start with a list of items and subitems:

Item 1
  - SubItem 1.1
    - SubItem 1.1.1
    - SubItem 1.1.2
  - Subitem 1.2
Item 2
  - SubItem 2.1

Sounds very much like a collection of LIs, right? Well, the problem is that
for each Item and SubItem we will have links that allow the user to edit
them:

[Add] [Edit] [Delete] Item 1
[Add] [Edit] [Delete]   - SubItem 1.1
[Add] [Edit] [Delete]     - SubItem 1.1.1
[Add] [Edit] [Delete]     - SubItem 1.1.2
[Add] [Edit] [Delete]   - SubItem 1.2

Now to me that looks like a table with column headings "Add", "Edit",
"Delete", "Item Name". But if I do that I will loose the logic of the lists,
which really should remain.

Hmmmmmmm..... I really cannot come up with a sensible solutions for this,
that does not involve a ridiculous amount of tags.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!