Lachlan wrote:

The problem is that many people see the issue as "what will happen if I
don't follow standards?"; whereas the questions they should be asking
are "what are the benefits of following standards?", "how much
easier/faster is it to develop with standards?", etc.

If the whole matter were addressed this way, IMHO we would have two major benefits:

1. Clear understanding of our role within the society as a whole and the www community as part of that whole.

2. Easyness in communicating this concept to others (clients and/or other webdesigners), since they will be clear to us in the first place.

I hope I was able to make my point here ;-)

Happy coding

Paolo Dodet
www.noblocodenotas.com
Verba volant, Scripta manent, Digitalia juvant