Hi all,

This was big news a year or two ago now, but I just realised that,
perhaps, a separate domain space for mobile content isn't particularly
evil afterall. Tim Berners-Lee weighed in on this in May 2004 [1], and
I do agree with everything outlined in that document -- but there is
more.

We're looking at mobile content for the Sunrise Family site, along
similar lines to that on the Y!7 Sunrise WAP site [2].

However, this seems to make a great deal of sense for that website
(crappy markup on the core Sunrise site notwithstanding) simply
because the content has been trimmed down to something...
intrinsically usable. I'm quietly a fan of this approach, I think, but
would still be interested to hear compelling arguments against it.

Obviously, I'd be keen to ensure any WAP content we produced was
valid, just so there's less a pathetic mobile parser can give up on --
for example, I disagree with Yahoo!7's decision to ditch the doctype
in their WAP pages, even if WAP data is still 3c/KB or whatever it is.
If you're using WAP, you can probably afford it, plus they've used
images for bullet points. A list would surely suffice!

So I guess this is more of a content-based question. But the subdomain
thing comes into it, too, as well as the fact that this equates to
providing different versions for different devices.

1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/TLD
2. http://wap.yahoo.com.au/sunrise/ -- note the evil subdomain

Regards,
Josh