Nick Gleitzman wrote:

On 2 Feb 2006, at 1:24 PM, Ric Raftis wrote:

Nick Gleitzman wrote:

 Boring, but multiple CSS files, one for each page, containing only the bg image declarations for that page.

Maybe I've missed something, but why wouldn't you just have the one css file but declare the background image in the head section of each individual page?

You could, of course, but I use external files for the same reason that I don't include the whole CSS file in the <head> - separation of of content and presentation.

What about SSI or PHP. I have used this for conditional class application in navigations I don't see why you couldn't use it for applying to stylesheet insertion. For navigation where I use image replacement I use a single image and use the background image positioning to handle the various states. This way the whole nav loads at the same time and there is no need for _javascript_ preloads.

This makes me think that I should put all my background images on one image for an entire site. That might be a cool experiment. Has any one tried this?

Jay