On 2/2/06, Jay Gilmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I am looking for a way to make small business owners see that they have now
> sane alternative but to use web standards, not tell them they will be ahead
> of the curve or save $100/year on hosting.

I'll think of more arguments later, but I can definitely say:

- CSS and seperation of presentation from content makes updating a
site easier, whether it uses a CMS or not. Tag soup CMS solutions are
usually expensive, whereas a typical CSS based site can be built on
top of a free CMS. More importantly, when the site does not run on a
CMS, it really helps to have clean, semantic code without
presentational markup. I know it's a pain for small businesses to pay
someone to update their website all the time (they usually can't
afford to do it in-house), and even if they still pay someone to
update their CSS based site, at least the updates take less time.

- Also, CSS makes it easy to have the site redesigned in the future,
should it ever be necessary, and if someone gives me a CSS site to
redesign, they'll definitely save a lot of money, considering how few
changes I would probably have to make to the markup.

Pretty much any argument that emphasizes lower maintenance cost is key
for small businesses. SEO is a plus.

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.com ... rdpdesign.com ... cssliquid.com