White Ash writes:
I've designed a website, and we're going to be making an almost identical
Japanese version.  I'm not sure what is involved ~ is it as easy as
including the following at the top of the document:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";> <html xmlns=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml xml:lang="ja" lang="ja"> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">

I'd make a distinction netween two scenarios: 1) you are adapting your site for Japanese native speakers who are living in your country, or 2) you are localizing your website for an audience in Japan. For scenario 2, this would be a bare minimum. You'll also need to adjust your stylesheets to accomodate Japanses presentation and typography issues. You will also need to look at:
* locale related issues,
* cultural appropriateness of presentation and images
* encoding issues with form submissions (if used)
* script encoding issues, if there are any scripts on your site which process information, * etc.
Andrew