[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

However, in my case, I just felt that "100 223 578" does not define "Customer Identification Number (CID)". ...So am I wrong in my
thinking about definitions lists?? Can a random bunch of digits such
as "100 223 578" really be a definition that means Customer
Identification Number?? If someone can qualify these questions, then
I guess I will be convinced that this is the most semantic way to solve my problem.

Well, my understanding is that DL was not intended to be used solely as strictly as your interpretation suggests.

Again, what the HTML 4.01 spec says is:

"Definition lists vary only slightly from other types of lists in that list items consist of two parts: a term and a description...Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues, with each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words."

If you look at the latter example W3 give, this does not fit the strict interpretation of the DD being an *actual* definition of the term either.

Many people use DL for marking up list items and labels, where again there is a semantic association but not a classical "definition" as such. I feel this is perfectly appropriate.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets & links
http://snippetz.net