From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Lachlan Hunt
Sent: February 13, 2006 9:48 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] [IE 6 Problem] -Container will not align centre to the
page.

Omen King wrote:
> I have gone about creating this site for a class I have.
> I have been using in the past XHTML 1.0 strict but the doctype we must use

> is XHTML 1.1 Strict and it is giving me trouble.

Firstly, XHTML 1.1 Strict doesn't exist, it's just XHTML 1.1.  Don't
confuse it with XHTML 1.0 Strict/Transitional/Frameset, there are no
such variants for XHTML 1.1.  Secondly, is your teacher aware of the
fact that real world browsers don't support XHTML 1.1 properly, and that
some don't support it at all?  Most notably, no version of IE supports
it - anyone who says (or tries to show) otherwise is lying.  Perhaps my
recent article would be an enlightening read for both you and your teacher.

http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/12/xhtml-beginners

> I have already know the problem is some kind of rule issue. I am
researching
> the problem currently but if anyone already knows the anwser it would be
> greatly appericated.
>
> Please view this page both in IE 6 and Firefox.
>
> http://www.monsterboxproductions.com/hwk/thedigitallibary/index.html

It appears to work in Firefox, IE7 and Opera just fine (though, it
really only "works" in IE thinks it's receiving HTML, not XHTML - it's a
MIME type issue).  I don't have IE6 available to test in without
uninstalling IE7.  However, you need to be aware that using the XML
declaration triggers quirks mode in IE6 (they fixed that bug in IE7) and
this may be the cause of your immediate problem.

Remove this line:  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

To fix any other problems correctly, it requires using the correct MIME
type.  The easiest way is to change the file extension to .xht or .xhtml
and add this line to your .htaccess file on your server (create it if
you don't have one, Google for ".htaccess files" for more info)

AddType application/xhtml+xml .xht .xhtml

(After doing this, you won't be able to view it in IE, only Firefox,
Opera and other descent modern browsers, but you will learn a valuable
lesson none-the-less)

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/