Stephen Stagg wrote Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:42:53 +0000:

> >> From: Felix Miata [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> >> Please tell us which combination(s) of display size and resolution and
> >> at which DPI values your description applies to:

> >> 13" on 800x600
> >> 13" on 1152x864 <-- !!!!!!! Sadist :)
> >> 21" on 2048x1536
> >> 22" on 2048x1536
> >> Less than 13" or 800x600
> >> Other

> All of them, because I'm talking about the pixel size of the fonts,
> not the physical of pixel dimentions of the users' display.  In IE,
> normal size tahoma or verdana will display at X pixels high by by
> default, regardless of resolution.  It is the fact the these fonts
> look bad at the default PIXEL heights that I was complaining about.
> And BTW. I'm not including non-standard PPI settings here as they
> just mess everything up

Sounds like you're not up to speed on the ramifications of high
resolution. On any given display size, when you double the linear
resolution (e.g. from 800x600 to 1600x1200), you get four times as many
logical pixels to work with. If you don't adjust logical PPI (DPI),
you're doing nothing to take advantage of the improved resolution, only
making everything smaller.

When you do so adjust, then your default font sizes also get four times
as many pixels to work with. Even at a more typical +25% change, from
the doze default 96 DPI to the "large fonts" 120 DPI (e.g. when going
from 1024x768 to 1280x960, also +25%), you get a 20px IE default instead
of a 16px IE default. That's a 56.25% increase in available pixels,
which on any given physical size display is very clearly better. When
your resolution setting is high enough, and you've properly adjusted,
there's little or no need for Cleartype or anti-aliasing or hinting or
other artificial improvers, because all they do is attempt to emulate
precisely what you get by having more logical pixels to work with.

So, this "ugliness at certain sizes" of which you speak disappears as
the physical size of those pixel sizes is reduced. If ugliness is a
bother to you, I suggest raising your default resolution, and properly
adjusting settings required to prevent things from being too small. My
default (DejaVu Sans Condensed) isn't ugly to me, because it has
sufficient pixels to form well shaped characters of adequate size:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/pointsdemo-168.jpg
--
"Love your neighbor as yourself."                Mark 12:31 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/auth