Default font sizes also depend on the cultural background of the viewers/users. The default setting on Windows works out to be the same size as Times New Roman 10 pt when printed on Letter size paper. Australian's prefer default sizes of Times New Roman 12 pt when printed on A4 paper. I believe (preparing to be corrected quickly) that Europeans sizes are the same as the Australian default sizes. European type fonts (Nordic, etc) really need the larger 12 pt equivalent.

I agree with Lachlan that designers with 19", 21", 20" Cinema Displays, etc do prefer smaller fonts that display well, especially on LCD screens at the smaller size but most users prefer font sizes to be similar to printed pages they are used too.

This can change slightly with sans serif fonts as they are generally slightly larger when printed at the same point size. Sans serif fonts can also appear clearer on monitors because of the slightly larger than normal leading built into the font.

So if you need to specify and design with font sizes different to the defaults I believe that you should make fonts no smaller than the 12 pt equivalent, unless using sans serif all caps or similar. User that need larger fonts or who have smaller monitors will then have no problem reading your web sites. I'll let you work out point to pixel to em sizes that appear similar.

All this is just a suggestion and I have seen many effective web sites use small default text and large default text - it depends on the target audience.

Regards,

Steve