Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

Neither Google, nor most of those who might use that or similar
services, care all that much about XHTML - or any other standard.

Now, which Task Force over at <http://www.webstandards.org/> should take
on the task of "fixing" this Google service? Should keep any Task Force
busy for a long - long - time. Outcome? ...? Doesn't hurt trying though.

I think this is a little harsh.

I have just done a quick test on the service, and I see no font tags. What I do see is a thoughtful, earnest attempt to deliver content managed publishing for ordinary people in a way that tries to comply with current web standards.

No font tags, no tables or spacer gifs; it even has nice touches like an empty script element to avoid FOUC since they are going for an all-out CSS layout.

The OP could just as well have published a positive note that Google have introduced a really nice Web 2.0 app in its early stages. Yes it has some validation issues that will be easy for them to iron out, but they are giving web standards a serious go.

Kudos to Google, on this occasion. I think they have made a good start on the service. They tell you it's a work in progress when you sign up, so you can expect it to look a bit rough.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets & links
http://snippetz.net