Speaking of web page translations, I'm going to be getting copy decks of a web page[1] translated into six different languages. I'm on the right start by having the lines in my html code as specified in the email below. :-)

Now, to do the side nav (all I have so far), I had fun(!) because Dreamweaver doesn't render the characters of the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages. They show up as squares.

Does anyone have a suggestions as to what other app I can use to code the translated pages in? I would think some thing with support for more characters? Anyone have any suggestions (hopefully free)?

Also, any idea how I can have the ALT attributes and the title bar show these characters as well in the browser? Or does that have to do with the user's computer & fonts installed?

[1] http://test.slackbarshinger.com/pei2006T/content/english.html (test site)

million thanks!

Zulema Ortiz
Web Designer

Richard Ishida wrote:
Tom,
Here's what I think you need in your code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

You can also add <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="XX" />

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)