I never managed to get legends to look anywhere close to what I wanted them
to in all browsers. They are just being interpreted so differently, I ended
up working around it: I am now using a div and a legend both containing the
same content. Something like this:

<fieldset>
<legend>Your Details</legend>
</fieldset>

In the css I hide the legend from the general public and format the
.fieldsetTitle the way I want it. I know this is a nasty way of doing it and
I end up doubling information, but that's the only way I ever found. Legends
just cannot be formatted properly.