At 01:40 PM 3/10/2006, Terrence Wood wrote:
1) The semantic relationship of parent menu item to sub-menu is obscured if not lost.
Provide a structural label for top-level navigation, this will make the relationship far more explicit. Using the labels from you main navigation device as headings for the sub-menus will also serve to strengthen the relationship.

True.  And you've helped me fill in a gap:

One difference between nesting and linking lists is the way in which parents & children are linked bidirectionally. Their relationship is always clear in a nested list purely from the structural position of the child inside the parent. To get from the child to the parent you simply go up or outward one level.

With linked lists, the connection from parent to child is explicit through the parent item's anchor to the child, and the headline of each child menu can be hyperlinked back to the parent item.

So what I proposed as a singly-linked list easiliy becomes doubly-linked.

Regards,
Paul