Hi Craig,

Thanks for replying to this post.

By saying PTG can "certify" the usability of websites you are claiming that
your team can pinpoint the moment at which the majority of tasks on a
specific website can be completed in a reasonable timeframe by a set number
of users. So we are dealing with three factors here:

1. Success Rate
2. Time taken
3. Number of Users

There are numbers behind each of these three factors. I would like to know
who has made the decision on what these numbers are?

I presume when you and your team sit down and analyse the usability of a
website, you have got a set formula, an expectation on what the success rate
should be, what the duration of task completion should be and what
percentage of users should fulfil tasks in the set time with the set success
rate.

Once all of these factors have been fulfilled, you certify the website as
usable.

Now what happens if the users have got different expectations to what your
team thinks is right or wrong? What if your team decides a task should be
completed in 5 minutes, yet a user is sick of it after 4 minutes and 30
seconds already? Maybe that user should trudge on for another 30 seconds
until he/she completes the task successfully, seeing that there is an icon
on the website certifying it as usable?

The notion of "certifying usability" is something very dangerous, I believe.
You give your customers the feeling that their website does not need further
improvement. In particular government bodies have probably waited for the
moment in which a company can certify that their websites are usable. Once
they get your blessing they can lean back and don't have to worry about
anything anymore. "PTG told us our website is usable, so there you go". If a
user calls them and tells them he cannot find information on their website,
they will just tell them: "Don't complain. This website is proven to be
usable. You must be not normal."

If you certify a website as usable, what this also means is that you would
have to conduct regular audits to ensure the website still complies with all
your set standards.

I am sorry, but I don't agree with this whole idea. Usability as it is
understood in Web Standards cannot be certified by anybody as it is a
subjective judgement, based on prior experiences, expectations and emotions
by the individual user.