Is your include file written in the correct charset?

At 10:50 AM 21/03/2006, Adrian O'Hagan wrote:
Hello list,

I am embarking on my first multi-lingual site (English, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese).

It is to be a static site (no databases) and I have used PHP to take advantage of the server-side includes.

The doctype for my Simplified Chinese PHP pages is:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
<head>

I do not place any header in my includes, simply the raw HTML I think I will need. (In the example file it is nothing more than the Chinese text wrapped in a paragraph tag.)

My major problem is this: when I save the include, all Chinese characters are rendered as a series of question marks.

You can see my example file here: <http://www.digitaldogma.com.au/clients/helprequest/>http://www.digitaldogma.com.au/clients/helprequest/

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Adrian.