No idea if it would execute in whatever handheld browser is needed, and my brief research indicates this style grabbing in javascript is a bit flaky cross browser even on the desktop, but you might be able to hack something together that works a lot of the time.

"flaky" would be an understatement...
what if the browser can't execute javascript?

what proportion of mobile phones can execute javascript?... I don't think many can

Some phones do support css but a lot don't ... so the page should be designed to be usable without it.

(and I am talking about phones new enough to be able to read xhtml - not older models that can only do wml)