Kat wrote:

1. I cannot find any <xml> element in the HTML 4.01 standard

There isn't one

2. I cannot find any reference to the datafld attribute for span.

Ditto

Both of these are mentioned on this W3Schools

Insert obscenity due to their general level of quality being extremely low.

XML tutorial site:
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_data_island.asp

To quote that page:

"With Internet Explorer, the ***unofficial*** <xml> tag can be used to create an XML data island."

Is what the W3Schools site discusses as per the standards

No

NB. I am, of course, assuming that when W3Schools says HTML, it means exactly that, and not XHTML.

It would still be wrong if it was XHTML since it isn't in a different namespace.

--
David Dorward                               <http://dorward.me.uk/>