Hi Rebecca,

Screen readers handling of JavaScript events are a real pain as not only do
different screen readers handle HTML and CSS differently but this is also
true of their handling of JavaScript. Typically as no content should be
inaccessible without JS if you must "hide" content from a sighted user do so
with absolutley positioning the element of screen rather than using display
none.

With regards to the show hide cookie, if you place the links offscreen using
the method described above and then position back within the page view on
focus then once a person tabs through the anchor list the links show. This
is also usefull when providing partially sighted users visual ques onscreen.

The JavaScript Anthology by James Edwards
http://www.sitepoint.com/books/jsant1/ has a nice chapter on this subject
and The Juicy Studio Blog also many informative posts
http://juicystudio.com/index.php.

Kind Regards

Darren