In fact there is a let-out clause - http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#link-text - you *can* use the same text for different links, providing you use unique title text for each one...

(still irritating - but as you say - there is a point there...)

Simon

www.simonmoss.co.uk

That's why it failed validation of course.  viz:

13.1 Clearly identify the target of each link. [Priority 2]
Link text should be meaningful enough to make sense when read out of context -- either on its own or as part of a sequence of links. Link text should also be terse. For example, in HTML, write "Information about version 4.3" instead of "click here". In addition to clear link text, content developers may further clarify the target of a link with an informative link title (e.g., in HTML, the "title" attribute).

So I repeat : 20 items for sale would have to be:

Buy now,
Buy it now,
Buy this now,
Now buy it,
Get it at once,
Purchase now,
Get yer wallet out,
Fork out now,
Dig in for the dosh,

etc etc.  :-)

Ludicrous!  I see the point, obviously, but really!!!