Al Sparber wrote:
From: "Designer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I may be late to the party with this, but I think what they're looking for would be:

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - Simon put me on to this also, and it's EXACTLY what the
validator is demanding.

There really is not an accessibility "validator" in the same sense as there is an HTML or CSS validator. Accessibility is not black and white. I believe your original code is fine:

<h1> EVERY STREET IN MANCHESTER </h1>

<h1> MANCHESTER KISS </h1>

An assistive reader, in the vast majority of cases, is not going to machine-gun "What the critics say". It's going to read the headings, then the content/links that come below.

This might be a case of overanalyzing things a bit. The goal is not to satisfy a machine-based checker, but to provide a usable and accessible page.

Thanks Al, I appreciate your input on this. Point is, I am new to giving accessibility some <serious> consideration (other than the obvious simple things) and my only teacher at this stage are the various checkers such as those which come in the FF dev toolbar. Only this last week I decided to put a few sites on the W3C site thing (http://www.w3csites.com/) and, of course, you have to specify certain ratings such as html validation as well as WAI/section 508 validation. I thought this was an interesting challenge/tutorial to see what was needed to get my sites to pass automatic WAI3 validation. It has been a very educational exercise and there has been a couple of things (like the case discussed here) which I would never have dreamed of. Clearly, accessibility is a big area and currently outside of my expertise, but it's a start.

Or do you think it's a misleading one, perhaps?
--
Bob

www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk