Designer wrote:
http://www.rhh.myzen.co.uk/gam/sandbox/index_cc.html to see the action. It all validates. I've used standard code to include display : table and display : table cell for compliant browsers, and the conditional comment for IE. Works in FF, Opera 9, IE6 and IE7.

Safari is doing fine too - as expected.

The window being too small to display the top of the page is not a problem using this approach, as there isn't any absolute positioning..

Excellent. Can probably improve the expression by making it stop at zero
if 'clientHeight/2-100' becomes less than zero. IE will behave almost
like a decent browser then.

Mmmm. Can't help feeling there's a snag here, and that some browsers will just fall apart . . .it's too simple to be true! :-)

The 'CSS table' part _is_ simple, and decent browsers are doing their
job - period. What did you expect, and what more can you ask for?

That IE doesn't understand all that much CSS and needs workarounds, is
also as expected. Sure, we should be able to ask for more after all this
time, but... better luck with IE8 - IE12 or whatever :-)

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no