The "name" attribute is used to post the element's value to a new page, where as "id" is used to identify the element within the document. You want both regardless of the duplicate entry when creating the input elements. If you had to leave one out, you would remove the "id" attribute, leaving only "name".

*Joseph R. B. Taylor*
Sites by Joe, LLC
/Custom Web Design & Development/
Phone: (609) 335-3076
www.sitesbyjoe.com <http://www.sitesbyjoe.com>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The HTML & XHTML definitive guide from O'Reilly states that NAME is a required attribute in INPUT. Can I just substitute ID for NAME and still adhere to web standards or is NAME really required? I'm coding for HTML 4.01 strict.

begin:vcard
fn:Joseph R. B. Taylor
n:Taylor;Joseph
org:Sites by Joe, LLC
adr:;;408 Route 47 South;Cape May Court House;NJ;08210;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:609-335-3076
tel;cell:609-335-3076
url:http://www.sitesbyjoe.com