I am helping to put together a generic form builder and handler for a
bespoke CMS
We decided that we would do unobtrusive JavaScript to do client side
validation based on class values
but also wanted to do server side. My colleague came up with the idea of
naming form elements in a certain way so we could determine what server side
validation to use e.g. <input name='firstname:test:required' etc.. would be
a required text input of name firstname. However I think this would not make
for a good label for attribute (for accessibility)

Two questions :

1. I assume I am right that for attributes on labels get read by screen
readers and messing these up would be wrong
2. Any suggestions for a ways of getting, without using AJAX (so it work
without javascript) class name
into server side or solving this conundrum

Thanks

Shaun Hare.