> Peter Leing

> I think the issue may be with how the browser is handling
> spaces/tabs/carriage returns in the html file. Removing the
> spacing in your page through firebug produced a similar
> affect as the table display.

Can't guarantee how robust this would be in all situations, but I've just been
playing with word-spacing to override the space without having to change the
HTML itself. Seems to work ok in IE 6, IE 7, Firefox 2.0, Mozilla 1.7, Opera
9.2 on WinXP. Not sure how Safari would handle it...

div { word-spacing: -.3em; }
ul, li { word-spacing: -.3em; }

I'd probably say that it's still worth fixing this at the HTML level, but I
thought it would be an interesting little tidbit to share...

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk