Good morning :-)

I should have expanded my example a little more since I do use the "for"
attribute in labels, even when directly (implicitly?) associated:

<form>
  <fieldset>
    <legend>Send us your contact info</legend>
          <input type="text" id="name" name="name" value="" />
        </label>
          <input type="text" id="email" name="email" value="" />
        </label>
        <label for="url">Web site:
          <input type="text" id="url" name="url" value="" />
        </label>
   </fieldset>
</form>

(Note: The labels/names were chosen to best accommodate autofill users.)

Karl Lurman wrote:
> About putting the error in the label, not
> sure on that one either. Is
> an error a label after all...

Me neither actually, just not sure. In a way I think it's smart for
accessibility in that it changes that label (changes what it says and what
it means), and for locating the offense I think it's smart. On my form the
errors are on a different screen with a #results bookmark so when submitted
the user is brought directly to the result of their action (same for the
success confirmation message), but getting back can be problematic. Either
way, for screen reader users it can't be easy to know:

1) The results of their action.
2) How/where to fix the result if needed if unsuccessful.

> Man, I hope for us all that the new HTML and
> XHTML standards cover form semantics better...

Hehe, that might be a good thing. Take out some of the gray areas. It'll
have to be pretty complete though since most of the gray areas are
content-related and there are so many unique situations :-)

Cheers and happy Friday!
Mike Cherim