Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/05/28 02:43 (GMT-0400) Philip Kiff apparently typed:
>
>> 1. Use Percentage on body font-size, then apply ems on the rest
>> Owen Briggs
>> The Noodle Incident - Sane CSS Sizes
>> http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/
>
> This is the method of undersizing that is least visitor unfriendly.
> Gecko browsers don't compound an enforced minimum font size as badly
> as on Clagnut pages. More importantly, a simple user stylesheet with
> 'body {font-size: medium !important}' fixes all or substantially all
> of most pages that strictly use this method.
>
>> The last major position, of course, is the one advocating against any
>> changes to the default base font sizes for the body text.  This is
>> the "100% Easy-2-Read Standard" advocated by Felix Miata:
>> http://www.informationarchitects.jp/100e2r?v=4
>
> There is at least one rather significant other proponent. From
> http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size
>
> 'Size: respect the users' preferences, avoid small size for content
>     * As a base font size for a document, 1em (or 100%) is equivalent
>     to setting the font size to the user's preference. Use this as a
>     basis for your font sizes, and avoid setting a smaller base font
>     size * Avoid sizes in em smaller than 1em for text body, except
>     maybe for copyright statements or other kinds of "fine print."'

I was not aware of this document.  Thanks for highlighting it.  I note that
it is merely a "tips" document and therefore "should not be seen as anything
else than informative bits of wisdom, and especially, they are not normative
W3C technical specifications."  But having noted that, I think you are right
that it suggests that the W3C collective wisdom on this topic is to
recommend leaving the base font sizes unchanged, especially given that their
own site follows that policy as well.

I guess that means that now I'm not sure if I agree with the W3C either (!).
I know some people are quite comfortable occupying that position, but for
me, I'm not so sure...   Grrrr...

Phil.