Ive been following the sliding doors II article and have it working somewhat well. However I cant see the reason for the 1st set of decendent selectors below. The second set with the anchor tag is used to create the "current" link state but I dont see what the first set is for. The first selector in comma separated pairs are used to id in the body tag. Can someone explain this?
http://alistapart.com/d/slidingdoors2/v1/ex10a.html

|*#home #nav-home, #news #nav-news,
#products #nav-products, #about #nav-about,
#contact #nav-contact* {
 background-position:0% -150px;
 border-width:0;
 }

*#home #nav-home a, #news #nav-news a, #products #nav-products a, #about #nav-about a,
#contact #nav-contact a* {
 background-position:100% -150px;
 color:#333;
 padding-bottom:5px;